Leaders from organizations across Minnesota providing emergency shelter and services to people experiencing homelessness came together in a recent news conference with an urgent call to action for to state, local and public officials: Our ability as a state to manage community spread, #FlattenTheCurve, and reduce pressure on hospitals will not be successful if we don’t ensure that funding and coordination for people experiencing homelessness are in place – if we fail in this regard, there will be significant public health implications for all of us.
Watch the entire news conference and check out some of the coverage below:
- Star Tribune: “Hennepin County: Weekly cost of housing homeless during pandemic could reach $1 million: County officials say that state help will be needed to cover what they say could be staggering costs,” by Kelly Smith and Rochelle Olson
- MPR: “MN homeless shelters struggle to provide safety, distance to prevent COVID-19,” by Kirsti Marohn
- KARE 11 TV: “Advocates for MN’s homeless urge for more support amid COVID-19 pandemic” by Heidi Wigdahl
- Star Tribune: “Minnesota homeless shelters seek more aid, resources before COVID-19 ‘spreads like wildfire’: Nonprofits working with the Minnesota’s homeless say they’re unprepared for COVID-19,” by Kelly Smith
- MPR: “March 26 update on COVID-19 in MN: More deaths expected; too soon to say on State Fair,” by MPR News Staff / Kristi Marohn
- The Catholic Spirit: “Catholic Charities: Homeless shelters ‘ground zero’ for battling spread of coronavirus,” by Joe Ruff
- FOX 9 TV: “Homeless advocates call for relief funding amid COVID-19 crisis,” by Bisi Onile-Ere
- Duluth News Tribune: “Homeless advocates to Minnesota: Don’t forget us in fighting COVID-19,” by John Lundy (March 26, 2020)
- Rochester Post Bulletin: “Minnesota homelessness groups ask for access to $200M health fund,” by Matthew Guerry (March 26, 2020)
I drive the development of Catholic Charities’ key stakeholder outreach strategy, manage oversight of public messaging, media relations, external web and social media development and content, and agency-wide materials.